Posts for tag: Preventive Care
What is a wellness visit?
While you should bring your child into the doctor’s office when they are sick, this isn’t the only time that they should be visiting a pediatrician. Regular wellness visits allow your child’s doctor to continue to monitor their health and development throughout their childhood and teen years. A wellness or well-child visit typically involves:
- Recording your child’s height and weight
- Providing a detailed medical history of your child
- Checking vital signs
- Hearing and vision screenings (depending on the age)
- A full physical examination (painless and non-invasive)
- Additional testing or blood work, if necessary
- Vaccinations, as needed
- Answer any questions that the parent may have about their child’s health and provide information and advice on ways to keep your child healthy
Furthermore, children will need to go through a series of vaccines during the first few years of life. Vaccines are one of the best ways to protect your child from serious and potentially life-threatening diseases such as polio. By keeping up with your child’s wellness and vaccine schedule you ensure that you are providing your child with everything that they need to stay healthy.
Why are wellness visits so important?
As you can probably assume already, these checkups are the best way to prevent health problems from happening in the first place (which we can all agree is so much better than just treating the problem once it comes along). Other benefits of wellness visits include:
- Providing parents with support, peace of mind, and advice regarding everything from sleep schedules and diet to medications and behavioral concerns.
- Catch problems early on, whether physical, mental or behavioral, when they can easily be managed and treated through simpler and less invasive treatment options
- Having a doctor that becomes an important part of your family; someone you can trust and rely on to always be there for your child. After all, knowing that you have a doctor that you can turn to in an emergency is invaluable.
Preventive care is an excellent way to maintain optimal health, as it allows a doctor to help you prevent serious health issues by addressing problems as soon as they develop. Here at Southwestern Pediatrics in Maricopa, AZ, our skilled providers offer adult care to help you achieve your best health possible—read on to learn more.
Adult Primary Care
Adult primary care can encompass many aspects of your health, including treatment for acute illnesses and injuries, help in managing the symptoms of chronic conditions, and the prevention of health problems. It also involves educating and counseling patients about how to best care for themselves to ensure optimal health. For example, during a primary care visit, your provider can discuss diet and exercise recommendations to help lower blood pressure.
A significant advantage to having a primary care provider is that you are partnering with an experienced medical professional who is familiar with your medical history and can help you maintain your best health. When you do not have a primary care doctor and have to rely on urgent or emergency care when ill, it can be much more expensive.
Conversely, periodically seeing a provider for adult care at our clinic in Maricopa is a great way to establish rapport with a physician who can promptly address health issues and help you maintain good health. Whether you have come down with the flu or another illness and need immediate treatment or could benefit from assistance managing a chronic condition, our experienced providers are here to help.
Look to Us for Care
Regularly seeing a doctor for adult primary care is one of the best steps you can take toward preventing health issues and promoting better health overall. To schedule an appointment with one of our providers, call Southwestern Pediatrics in Maricopa, AZ, at (520) 568-9500.